Game 25 Preview: Stop, Drop and Roll (and Score More Than the Other Guy)
Columbus Blue Jackets at Calgary Flames
December 1st, 2011 - 9:00pm EDT
Scotiabank Saddledome- Calgary, Alberta
Radio - WBNS 97.1 FM- TV - Fox Sports Ohio
Opponents Blog: Matchsticks and Gasoline
On paper, this game is far from a barn-burner.
The Jackets and Flames are two of the Western Conference's worst teams, with both squads struggling mightily on special teams and in the goal-scoring department. These teams are actually fairly evenly matched, with the exception of defense. The Flames are a middle-of-the-pack team defensively, backed by the strong play of Miikka Kiprusoff in goal. The Jackets will counter Kiprusoff with Curtis Sanford, who is a top-5 goaltender statistically. Sanford has been playing at a very high level, and with the Flames' struggles to score, the Jackets have a good chance of evening up their record on this Western Conference road trip.
(Note: Lines are based on combinations used in practice yesterday and are subject to change)
| Vinny Prospal ||Jeff Carter ||Rick Nash |
|R.J. Umberger ||Mark Letestu || Ryan Johansen |
|Antoine Vermette ||Samuel Pahlsson ||Derek Dorsett |
| Cody Bass ||Derek MacKenzie ||Jared Boll |
|Fedor Tyutin||Nikita Nikitin |
|James Wisniewski||Marc Methot|
|John Moore ||Grant Clitsome |
('11-'12: 10-12-1, 21 Points; 5th Division, 13th Conference)
| Curtis Glencross ||Olli Jokinen || Jarome Iginla |
|Alex Tanguay ||Roman Horak ||Rene Bourque |
| Blake Comeau ||Mikael Backlund ||Lee Stempniak |
|Tom Kostopoulos||Matt Stajan || Tim Jackman |
|Jay Bouwmeester ||Chris Butler |
| Scott Hannan ||T.J. Brodie |
|Derek Smith ||Cory Sarich |
By The Numbers ('11-'12 Season)
CBJ - 2.29 G/G (26th)
CAL - 2.22 G/G (28th)
CAL- 2.61 GA/G (16th)
CBJ - 3.17 GA/G (25th)
CAL - 12.7% (25th)
CBJ - 13.1% (24th)
CAL- 80.2% (23rd)
CBJ - 75.6% (29th)
- Rick Nash has taken over the team lead in goals, with seven.
- Vinny Prospal continues to lead the team in overall scoring, with 19 points.
- Derick Brassard and Aaron Johnson are the likely scratches tonight for the Jackets.
- The Flames will be without Mark Giordano, after he was injured in the Flames' last game against Nashville.
- Alex Tanguay leads the Flames in scoring, with 16 points in 23 games.
- Jarome Iginla is tied with Curtis Glencross for the team lead in goals, with seven apiece.