Cannon Blasts - August 12, 2014
The first edition of the new series "Cannon Blasts."
- 2014 First-Round Draft Pick Sonny Milano has said all along he's committed to Boston College (despite rumors of possibly jumping to the OHL this coming season instead). He's still fully committed to BC and will report to school in a couple weeks.
- The "Ice-Bucket Challenge" is making its way through the NHL ranks. Several CBJ players have gotten involved via Twitter in raising awareness for ALS and there may be a current chain of "challenges" going on. (Full Disclosure - I heard about an "Ice Bucket Challenge" earlier this summer in support of raising funds for Firefighters, as well as another one for the military, but it appears many NHL players are on board for ALS.) This recent example may take the cake, if you ask me.
- NHL.com recapped a busy off-season for the Blue Jackets. Obviously the main concern remains getting Johansen signed.
- Organizational Depth is allowing prospects more time to develop before playing in Columbus. Mike G. Morreale takes a look at the Top 10 prospects in the pipeline (Spoiler - the future is pretty bright). A couple of interesting rankings there.
- Dalton Prout is enjoying the comforts of a one-way contract this off-season. He's looking to improve his consistency next season in hopes of becoming a regular on the blue line permanently.
- The "Advanced Stats" seem to spark quite the debates here at The Cannon. The SBNation NHL Page takes a look at the evolution of those stats and some curious recent NHL hires. /
This concludes a rather slow, off-season edition of Cannon Blasts. Please leave any comments below of what you would like to be included in future editions. I have no doubt things will ramp up as Cannon Fest and camp draw near.
Just 58 days to Opening Night and 60 days until the regular season Home Opener!