Recap: Griffins Down the Monsters
The Cleveland Monsters fell to the Grand Rapids Griffins, 4-2.
Grand Rapids Griffins (4) at Cleveland Monsters (2)
The Cleveland Monsters struck first 1:05 into the first period.
Terry Broadhurst picked the puck up from the corner to Tom McCollum’s left. He skate along the boards until he hit the top of the faceoff circle. Then, fired the puck across the ice to Brady Austin who fired a shot from the other faceoff dot into the net.
With three minutes left in the first period, the Grand Rapids Griffins tied the game at one. Matt Puempel fired a shot through traffic past Jeff Zatkoff.
The Griffins extended their lead to 2-0 with 5:11 to play in the second period.
Corey Elkins rebounded a puck off of the boards and fired it into the net from below the goal line.
Eight minutes into the third period the Monsters tied the game at two. Alex Broadhurst broke away from the pack and went top shelf on McCollum.
With 4:13 left in the game, the Griffins took the 3-2 lead over the Monsters.
Filip Hronek launched a shot from below the below line into the net.
The Griffins sealed the deal with an empty net goal from Matt Lorito with 23 seconds left in the game.
But Wait! There’s More
- The Monsters came out with more energy tonight than last night. They played the first period with gusto. Unfortunately, this didn’t last the whole game. By the end of the night, many of the players were gassed.
- Alex Broadhurst, Terry Broadhurst, Nathan Gerbe, Zac Dalpe, and Carter Camper were the main power play unit tonight. They played around 90 seconds or more per power play before a line change was made. Not sure why there was not a line change for so long on many of the extra man advantages. They fell into the pass, pass, pass game and didn’t attack the net much. There are many skilled players who could have been thrown onto the ice. Yet, the same five guys rolled through the power play and were exhausted by the time the next regular shift came around.
- On paper, the line of Brett Gallant, Miles Koules, and Calvin Thurkauf seemed like a really odd line. When they hit the ice all of them were bursting at the seams to make plays and score. In my opinion, they should play more minutes.
- Coach Madden didn’t roll lines tonight. When the third period rolled around he threw new lines on the ice. Camper replaced Justin Scott on the Tyler Motte and Jordan Schroeder line. Sam Vigenault ended up rolling with Thurkauf and Gallant. Scott, Gerbe, and Koules became a line as well. /
“Today, I thought we had a few guys going. Maybe one on each line. I didn’t think everybody was playing up to their capabilities. I didn’t think we were generating enough. So, I tried to change it up a little bit and give them a different look.” - Head Coach John Madden
- T. Broadhurst is the most relaxed player ever. The Griffins kept getting in his face and pushing him around. Yet, T.Broadhurst acted like nothing was happened and continued to play the game. /
1st – Filip Hronek (1g, 1a)
2nd – Tom McCollum (28 shots faced, 26 saves, 59:31 TOI)
3rd – Terry Broadhurst (0g, 2a)
Alex Broadhurst, Brett Gallant, and Carter Camper wore the “A” on their sweaters tonight.
Garrett Cockerill’s assist on Alex Broadhurst’s third period goal was his first professional point.
The Monsters take a day off and then play the Griffins again on Sunday at 3pm.
It’s Kids Day. The first 2,500 kids will receive a Fathead growth chart.