Trade Deadline Weekend Open Thread / Cannon Blasts
So much going on - trades, injuries, a CapGeek replacement, and more! What is going on??
The last couple days have been a whirlwind to say the least in CBJ land. Are these the last days to see James Wisniewski, Mark Letestu, and/or Cam Atkinson in the union blue? We'll find out in roughly 72 hours. Let's try to refrain from the abundance of F bombs should another trade break.
Given the swirling rumors and potential trades, feel free to use this space as your "open thread" this weekend. Let's get to those links:
- The big news yesterday broke just before the game against Montreal was set to start - in fact, the players learned of the Horton for Clarkson trade during warmups on the ice. We're continuing the discussion here. Clarkson will wear #18 and is set to make his Columbus debut tomorrow, against New Jersey no less.
- The Ottawa Senators were also interested in Clarkson, though their situation is different than the Blue Jackets. According to the report, they legitimately believed Clarkson could rediscover his game in Ottawa and weren't looking to swap $5+ million cap hits.
- A couple quick prospects update: Oliver Bjorkstrand has 46 goals and 87 points for Portland. Sonny Milano factored in all four goals (2G, 2A) in Plymouth's most recent win. He now has 58 points (18-40-58) in 40 games in the OHL.
- Two ESPN Insider (pay-wall) pieces from Rob Vollman on the market for centers and wingers as the deadline approaches.
- A bit of bizarre news breaking today - Matt Calvert is out indefinitely with a concussion. This was not sustained last night, but discovered after the game. Calvert has been getting treatment for his neck for some time, but apparently never went through concussions tests (that's how I'm reading it, at least). There's some onus on Calvert to not hide symptoms of a concussion, if he was in fact doing that, but I'm sure many here already questioning the medical staff will just add this as another reason to change things up.
- Antonie Vermette is being linked to both the Boston Bruins and Chicago Blackhawks in trade rumors. You'll recall both teams have also been linked to Cam Atkinson. Perhaps whichever team misses out on Vermette pushes hard for Cam?
- We've seen some replacements since CapGeek ceased operations, but I think I've found the best. Check out nhlcapspace.com.
- Lastly, off topic, but Twitter/the Internet melted down trying to figure out the colors of a dress? Sigh./