So, Marc Methot, You Want To Be A Blue Jacket?

Here’s another one of our mock job interviews (and, again, we repeat that this is a MOCK interview – we have not spoken to a single player this offseason, nor would they be likely to answer these sort of questions, I imagine…)

One of the priorities to be re-upped during the offseason, Marc Methot clearly passed any theortetical interview with Scott Howson, and could have quite a season ahead of him, so let’s begin…

Q) Hi, Marc. Tell us a little about yourself?

Well, I was born in Ottawa on June 21st, 1985. I was a draft pick in the 6th round of 2003 by the Blue jackets Organization, spent three years with the London Knights of the OHL, including an appearance in the 2004-2005 Memorial Cup, then played in Syracuse with the Crunch, getting a few looks at the NHL level in 2006-2007 and 2007-2008 before I made the team out of training camp for the team’s 2008-2009 playoff season and have been part of the defensive corps here in Columbus since.

Starting on the third pairing, I’ve grown into one of the team’s most reliable penalty killers and a solid second pairing defenseman. On July 1st, as a restricted free agent, I signed a new four year contract with the Blue Jackets, and I look forward to being a core member of the team as we work to go back to the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Q) Tell us about some intangibles you could bring to the Blue Jackets?

I’ve consistently pushed myself to improve, and I won’t accept just staying at the status quo. As a player, I’ve continued to work hard, find ways to boost my game, and look to set an example for my teammates. When I felt I was ready for the NHL, I made it my goal to force the team to play me through my hard work and dedication, and it’s paid off since. I see the ice well, and I’ve continued to deepen my understanding of the game the longer I compete at the NHL level. I’ve also enjoyed being part of the community in Columbus since becoming a Blue Jacket, and I enjoy connecting with the fans in Columbus.

Q) What areas of your game do you think you can improve on?

I’ve never been an "offensive" defenseman, but I was able to capitalize on a few scoring chances in London and Syracuse. Since scoring four goals and thirteen assists in my rookie season, I haven’t been a very strong offensive force in the NHL. If I could keep my defensive skills strong and add a bit more offensive punch, I think that I could become an even more valuable member of the club.

Q) Can you give us some examples of your hockey accomplishments?

As a member of the Jackets’ blue line last season, I had the toughest defensive zone starts of any Jacket blueliner at even strength, and the least even strength offensive zone starts of any full time NHL roster CBJ defenseman at 48.7%. My even strength Quality of Competition (QUALCOMP) score is a .065, the highest of any d-man on the team. In addition, I spent the most time per game of any CBJ defensemen on the penalty kill last season, with only 6% of my shorthanded zone starts in the offensive zone, and the other 94% spent overwhelmingly in the defensive zone as part of the first PK pairing with Fedor Tyutin or Jan Hejda.

That means I have been trusted to play in some of the hardest situations, and against the toughest opponents, and despite that I maintained a positive +/- score of +2, the only full time Jackets’ d-man to do so last year. I also played for Team Canada at this past summer's World Championships - my first appearance on the National Team as an over 20 player.

Subscribe to The Cannon

Don’t miss out on the latest articles. Sign up now to get access to the library of members-only articles.