Recap: Wolves Shutout the Monsters
The Cleveland Monsters fell to the Chicago Wolves, 3-0.
Chicago Wolves (3) at Cleveland Monsters (0)
The Chicago Wolves would score three unanswered goals in today's shutout of the Cleveland Monsters. All three would come in the third period.
Tobias Lindberg would score the first goal seven and a half minutes into the period. John Ramage blocked the first shot attempt by Lindberg. The puck bounced back onto Lindberg's stick and he banged it home for the goal.
Lindberg's goal gave the Wolves life. They were amped up and ready to go for the rest of the game.
Five minutes later, Paul Thompson would fire the puck at the Monsters' net. Ivan Kulbakov thought he had the puck but it slowly slid through his five-hole into the net.
With one second left in the game, Wade Megan would seal the deal for the Wolves after launching the puck into the Monsters' empty net.
But Wait! There's More
- Brady Austin was phenomenal on the penalty kill this afternoon. He created multiple turnovers and prevented many shots from getting close to the net.
- Ivan Kulbakov is quick in the crease and has a sharp eye for what is coming his way. I'm very impressed with the skill of this young goaltender. /
“He played extremely well. He held us in the game first, second, and third period.” - Coach John Madden
- Hayden Hodgson had a lot of great looks on net but Michael Leighton was there to stop every single one. He read Hodgson very well.
- Calvin Thurkauf couldn't catch a break tonight. He set up a few plays which had the possibility of becoming beautiful goals. Unfortunately, nothing came of them.
- The lack of Sonny Milano's offensive presence definitely hurt the team today. /
“Removing a guy like Sonny out of the lineup it hurts ya. He generates so much offense and we are an offense restricted team.” - Coach John Madden
1st – Michael Leighton (24 shots faced, 24 saves, SHUTOUT)
2nd – Tobias Lindberg (1g, 0a)
3rd – Ivan Kulbakov (31 shots faced, 29 saves, TOI: 56:49)
Andre Benoit, Carter Camper, and Alex Broadhurst all wore the “A” during this afternoon's tilt.
This afternoon's game was Ivan Kulbakov's first professional hockey game.
The Monsters pack up and head west for two games. They play the San Antonio Rampage at 8 pm est on Thursday, December 14th and the Texas Stars at 8 pm est on Saturday, December 16th.