Recap: Wild Make Monsters Look Mild
The Cleveland Monsters fall to the Iowa Wild, 3-1.
Iowa Wild (3) at Cleveland Monsters (1)
The Iowa Wild kicked the scoring off 13:31 into the first period. Ryan Murphy sniped the puck into the net from the top of the faceoff circle.
Eight minutes and 45 seconds into the second period, the Wild extended their lead to 2-0. Gerald Mayhew shot the puck around the back of the net. Ryan Murphy scooped it up and passed it to Nick Seeler who one timed the puck while falling into the back of the Monsters net.
Fifteen seconds later, the Wild scored again. Joel Eriksson-Ek passed the puck from behind the net to Kyle Rau who fired a point blank shot into the net.
The lone Cleveland Monsters goal came with 9:41 seconds left in the second period.
Zac Dalpe barreled down the ice towards Niklas Svedberg. He saw Alex Broadhurst open in the faceoff circle and passed him the puck. Broadhurst one timed it into the back of the net.
But Wait! There’s More
- Calvin Thurkauf was making a lot of noise tonight. He’s been attacked the net and pushed Iowa’s defense around near the crease. Some of the looks he had om net were incredible. It's a shame none of them went in the net.
- With the exception of his penalty in the first period, Garret Cockerill had another incredible night. He forced turnovers and broke up plays like it was no big deal.
- Nathan Gerbe is a scrappy fellow who has virtually no fear. He got into a shoving match with Soucy who happens to be 11" taller than Gerbe. Also, he was out there pushing Mayhew around every chance he could get. Guys way taller and bigger were getting outmuscled by Gerbe.
- The line of Zac Dalpe, Alex Broadhurst, and Terry Broadhurst is pure beauty. It is the kind of line coaches would sell their soul to have on their team. However, I strongly believe the team as a whole plays better when they are separated.
- Despite the amount of high caliber players on the roster, the Monsters could not get things to click.
- "They're good hockey players. They have high hockey IQs. You figure sooner or later they'll click" - Head Coach John Madden/
1st – Niklas Svedberg (31 shots faced, 30 saves, 60:00 TOI)
2nd – Nick Seeler (1g,1a)
3rd – Alex Broadhurst (1g, 0a)
Who is my number one star of the night? The little boy who walked up to a member of the military and thanked him for his service.
Alex Broadhurst, Carter Camper, and Zac Dalpe all wore the “A” on their chest.
The Monsters play three home games in a row against the Grand Rapids Griffins on Feb 1st (7 pm), Feb 2nd (7 pm), and Feb 4th (1 pm)
The Monsters game on February 1st is College ID Night. A valid college ID gets you $6 tickets.
Friday, February 2nd is Flashback Friday, a tribute to the 70s and 80s. Since the Monsters weren’t around back then, they are are wearing some sweet “Fauxback” jerseys.
As always, it’s 1-2-3 Friday. You can buy $1 Pepsi products, $2 hot dogs, and $3 select beers.
February 4th is Kids Day. The first2,500 kids will receive a Fathead growth chart.