Mike’s Final 2017 Final Mock Draft
My final mock, on the eve of the Entry Draft
The Vegas Golden Knights held their expansion draft last night, and in addition to claiming players via that route, General Manager George McPhee managed to add a pair of first round picks from Columbus and the Islanders.
These trades, along with a swap of picks with the Jets and the order being finalized post-Cup, has seen my mock differ from version one earlier this month.
CLICK TO EXPAND
- I’ve moved Elias Pettersson into the top ten, going to the Sabres at eight.
- I still have Klim Kostin to the Panthers at 10: I don’t see Florida being afraid of the (very real) Russian factor, getting him in this slot is a minor steal.
- I liked Necas to the Bruins as a Krejci replacement, but he’s been moving up rankings and I can see the Knights adding another center to compliment the earlier choice of Cody Glass.
- With their third first rounder, the Knights should spread the wealth and draft a defender after going center with their first two picks. Cal Foote is rugged and has the obivous pedigree.
- My first new addition to this draft is Josh Norris, and I have him rocketing up to the Rangers. He’s a polarizing player, but his great showing at the combine has led me to giving him a big bump.
- Defender Urho Vaakanainen enters the fray, going to the Coyotes after they added Casey Mittelstadt earlier in the draft.
- I was back-and-forth on a goalie going in the first round, and in the end I decided the Preds at 29 made sense. /
The Jackets will not be picking until round three, unless Jarmo Kekalainen can pull off a deal. Something tells me he’ll find a way to get back into one of the first two rounds.