Maple Leafs 6, Blue Jackets 3 - Quick Thoughts
The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves
I get to write up a longer form recap for tomorrow (wheeee) but here's a few quick thoughts on how tonight's continued struggles went.
Leafs 6 - Jackets 3. Ow.
- I think we can all agree that Boone Jenner's deflection to open the scoring was just plain crazy. I mean, seriously, take a look at this.
- Seeing Nick Foligno score was a nice sign of life - the Captain had clearly been trying to get this team off the mat, and I don't think it's a coincidence that they drew a powerplay afterwards that, for a brief shining minute, managed to tie things back up.
- Approximately 60% of Canada didn't actually notice the Maple Leafs winning because the Jays are suddenly losing. Expect to see a petition up on MoveOn.org demanding the Leafs forfeit the rest of their games until the World Series is over before the end of the night.
- The Lake Erie Monsters dropped the Iowa Stars 4-3.
- After starting the game with a pretty solid effort on the forecheck, the Blue Jackets regressed further and further through the game, leading to things like "Oops, I guess we forgot to cover Joffrey Lupul", and other such mishaps.
- The 0-5-0 start continues to dig a new basement on the "worst start in franchise history" record.
- It's hard to see Todd Richards keeping his job at this point. The defense being atrocious is not his fault entirely, but it's a lot easier to fire a coach than find at least three NHL defensemen of sufficient quality.
- If Los Angeles registers a point tonight, Edmonton and Columbus will be the only teams who have yet to secure a point in the standings by the end of the evening.
- Did we mention we get to play the defending Cup Champion Blackhawks tomorrow?
- David Clarkson's bout against Dion Phaneuf was a decent display of fisticuffs, but if anything it seemed to give the Toronto bench more energy than the home crowd.