Jackets vs. Rangers: Highlight Recap
The Rangers spoiled the Jackets' home opener with three goals late in the third period to win 4-2.
This is a new format we're trying out at The Cannon, we'll post a quick recap at the end of the game highlighting the key moments of the game, and we'll follow up in the morning with a more in-depth recap.
- The CBJ were hitting everything in sight, with all four lines laying the body. The Jackets will continue to be one of the hardest teams to play against.
- Alexander Wennberg was rocked in the defensive zone by Chris Kreider on a hard open-ice hit. Wennberg skated gingerly to the bench, and briefly went to the dressing room. He would come back to the bench, but at the beginning of the second period it was announced that he wasn't going to return. If he can't play tomorrow look for William Karlsson to fill his spot as 3C.
- Rene Bourque had a great first period, dishing out hits and getting pucks on net. Here's hoping he can continue this throughout the season.
- The 1-3-1 look on the powerplay debuted during the first period.
- Late in the first period the Rangers opened the scoring when David Savard and Gregory Campbell had a defensive zone miscommunication. Mats Zuccarello beat Bob with a backhand.
- The powerplay remained a work in progress, often looking disjointed. The CBJ had three man-advantage opportunities in the second.
- At the 10:59 mark Cam Atkinson scored the Jackets' first goal of the season. Brandon Dubinsky sprung Cam on a breakaway after a Derick Brassard turnover. Cam went forehand-backhand-forehand to beat Lundqvist.
That pass. That goal. #NYRvsCBJ #NHLFaceOff https://t.co/cgv0F6Dh1w— NHL (@NHL) October 10, 2015
- Chris Kreider was sent in alone on Sergei Bobrovsky with a few minutes left in the period, but Bob stymied him with a timely poke check.
POKE pic.twitter.com/CNvVsJMoJ3— NHL Blue Jackets (@BlueJacketsNHL) October 10, 2015
- The teams batted back-and-forth for much of the period. The battle between the captains was particularly intense, with Nick Foligno and Ryan McDonagh in each other's faces every opportunity.
- McDonagh was sent to the box for delay of game with 4:02 left. On the ensuing powerplay, Brandon Saad scored his first goal as a Jacket, wiring a shot from the high slot past Lundqvist.
Saad goal pic.twitter.com/I1AE5XLsqo— Stephanie (@myregularface) October 10, 2015
- 1:14 later, as the Jackets were wont to do last year, gave up a quick reply goal. Kevin Connauton failed to clear the puck and Oscar Lindberg was able to skate in and score on Bobrovsky.
- Seconds later, a softie by Bob. Kevin Hayes, who was almost on the CBJ goal line in the left corner, fired the puck toward the net, where it was able to sneak through Bob's gear and into the net. 3-2 Rangers.
- To complete the misery, exactly one minute later Zuccarello was able to pot his second goal of the game after Ryan Johansen kicked the puck to his stick from behind the goal line.