Game 5 Preview: Taking the Fight to Dallas
Columbus Blue Jackets at Dallas Stars
October 10, 2011 - 8pm EDT
American Airlines Center - Dallas, Texas
Radio - WWCD FM 102.5 - TV - Fox Sports Ohio
Opponents Blog: Defending Big D
The Jackets ook to put a stop to their franchise-worst 0-3-1 start as they visit the Dallas Stars tonight. The Stars are not the loaded team they have been in recent years, but remain a tough opponent. They have an abundance of hard-working, grinder-types with some skill sprinkled over top, in the form of Mike Ribeiro and Loui Eriksson. Eriksson is hands-down one of my personal favorite players to watch, he is as dynamic a winger as there is in the NHL.
The Jackets made one major lineup move, sending winger Cam Atkinson to the AHL, and calling up Alexandre Giroux. This move's sole purpose is to kick-start the offense on the second line. He'll jump right on the second line with R.J. Umberger and Antoine Vermette-two players who have yet to record a point this season.
We'll update in time for the game thread, but it looks like Derick Brassard may miss the game with a tweaked groin. My guess is that if he's good to go, you'll see him take Mayorov's spot in the lineup.
(Note: Lines are based on combinations used in practice yesterday and are subject to change)
Columbus Blue Jackets
('10-'11: 34-35-13, 81 Points; 5th division, 13th conference)
| Vinny Prospal ||Jeff Carter||Rick Nash |
|R.J. Umberger ||Antoine Vermette|| Alexandre Giroux |
|Maksim Mayorov ||Samuel Pahlsson||Derek Dorsett|
| Matt Calvert ||Ryan Johansen ||Derek MacKenzie|
|Fedor Tyutin||David Savard |
|Marc Methot||Radek Martinek|
|Kris Russell ||Grant Clitsome |
('10-'11: 42-29-11, 95 Points; 5th Division, 9th Conference)
| Brenden Morrow ||Mike Ribeiro || Michael Ryder |
|Steve Ott ||Jamie Benn ||Loui Eriksson |
| Adam Burish ||Vernon Fiddler ||Radek Dvorak |
|Krys Barch||Jake Dowell || Eric Nystrom |
|Adam Pardy ||Alex Gologoski |
| Sheldon Souray ||Stephane Robidas |
|Nicklas Grossman ||Trevor Daley |
By The Numbers ('10-'11 Season)
DAL - 2.71 G/G (17th)
CBJ - 2.56 G/G (24th)
DAL - 2.76 GA/G (15th)
CBJ - 3.05 GA/G (26th)
DAL - 18.0% (14th)
CBJ - 14.0% (29th)
DAL- 80.1% (23rd)
CBJ - 80.3% (22nd)
- This is an important game for Steve Mason. He hasn't been at fault 100% for the Jackets lack of success this season, but he hasn't gone out of his way to steal a game either. He needs to lock it up tonight.
- Jeff Carter leads the team with 17 shots on goal, but has yet to light the lamp. Tonight would be a good time.
- I was hoping to sneak this in, rather than point it out in the breakdown above- the Columbus powerplay is still 0-fer-season.
- Souray leads the Stars in +/- with a +3. Huh?
- Columbus is fifth in the league in PIMs/game. That needs to change!
- Enjoy the game folks.