Falcons Game 8: Wipeout!

Sunday afternoon, the Springfield Falcons wrapped up their third game in three days (more precisely - 46 hours) when they fell to the Connecticut Whale by a score of 4-1.

Manny Legace drew the starting nod from coach Rob Riley for the second time in these three games.

The first period was once again a story in the Falcons being unable to find the back of the net. Chad Johnson was the Connecticut starting netminder and stopped all 10 shots sent his way in the first period.

The Falcons couldn't capitalize on a 5 on 3 power play when the Whale's Jared Nightingale went off for a high sticking minor at 10:33. He was followed almost instantly by John Mitchell who went off for slashing.

Moments after the Whale returned to full strength, a sloppy line change cost them another deuce, this time for too many men on the ice.

Jonathan Audy-Marchessault, who scored his first pro goal against the Falcons on Saturday night, lit the lamp for the second time in his pro career at the 16:25 mark of the opening stanza. He was assisted by Jyri Niemi on the goal.

The second period was just flat out ugly.

Other than a spirited Dane Byers brawl with Whale tough guy Stu Bickel (Byers with the unanimous decision), this was a solid candidate for worst period of the season.

10 23 11 FIGHT (via SpfdFalconsAHL)

The Whale chalked up three unanswered goals to increase their lead to 4-0.

Blake Parlett tallied his first of the season on the power play at 4:01, followed quickly by Andreas Thuresson at 4:33. Tommy Grant scored his first pro goal at 13:24 also on the power play.

The Falcons, perhaps fatigued, were guilty of some truly sloppy play, took bad penalties and had nothing that resembled a legitimate scoring opportunity.

The Whale outshot the Falcons in the second period by a margin of 18-7, and held a two period lead in shots 28-17.

The third period couldn't end soon enough for either side. The Whale mailed it in, taking just three shots at Manny Legace. The only bright spot was Cam Atkinson who finally put the Falcons on the board at 14:33. Martin St. Pierre and Cody Goloubef were credited with assists. Originally, the goal was given to Martin St. Pierre on an assist to Ray Macias.

The Falcons next head up to Manchester for a Wednesday evening tilt with the Monarchs. The Falcons then return home for a pair next weekend when the Hershey Bears come to The Nest on Friday night and the St. John's Ice Caps make their first appearance ever at the MassMutual Center next Saturday night.

Subscribe to The Cannon

Don’t miss out on the latest articles. Sign up now to get access to the library of members-only articles.