Falcons Game 69: Sound Tigers Defeat Falcons Soundly

I am starting to write the recap of tonight's Falcons game with fifteen minutes remaining in the third period. Why so soon? Four first period goals by the Bridgeport Sound Tigers put this one away early. My hockey instinct was correct as the final score was Bridgeport 6 and Springfield 2.

The Sound Tigers got on the board just 14 seconds into the game and followed it up with a power play goal five and a half minutes later. In the Falcons defense, Paul Dainton never saw the first one. The second one followed a questionable cross checking call against Martin St. Pierre. The goals were scored by Tony Romano and Micheal Haley, respectively.

A minute after Haley's marker, Blair Riley extended the lead to 3-0 and that was all she wrote for Paully D in the Falcons cage. Matt Calvert got the Falcons on the board at 17:49, assisted by Wade MacLeod. The goal was a big one, as the fourth goal in the game was pivotal. One more for Bridgeport would have been the final nail in the coffin. But the goal for Springfield cut the margin to two.

Reality struck just 32 seconds later when David Ullstrom opened up a 4-1 lead for the Sound Tigers.

You could see the wind come out of the Falcons bench, and you just knew that was it for this game. Bridgeport added an unanswered goal in the second stanza, extending the lead to 5-1. Ullstrom followed up with his 21st of the season, making the game 6-1 in Bridgeport's favor.

Ryan Garlock picked up his fifth goal of the season at 9:55 of the third on a nice setup by Brent Regner and David Savard.

Sad to report, but this game was no fun.

The Falcons will be back home at The Nest on Saturday night when they host the Providence Bruins at 7PM. Former Boston Bruins enforcer, Lyndon Byers will be on hand (yes, he's Dane's cousin) for the opening face off and autograph signing during intermissions.

Subscribe to The Cannon

Don’t miss out on the latest articles. Sign up now to get access to the library of members-only articles.