Cannon Blasts: All-Star Rosters Announced, McElhinney To Toronto
It was a weird day in The Cannon world yesterday. The Blue Jackets lost, but that wasn't very important, and two Blue Jackets are headed to LA for the NHL All-Star Game.
The Cannon community was hit hard early yesterday morning, with news of the passing of Cannon contributor, Blue Jackets super-fan and super-mind and all-around fantastic guy Jeff Little. The result in Raleigh didn't matter much while the news of a pair of Blue Jackets going to the All-Star Game was certainly welcomed.
ICYMI From The Cannon
- There was actual hockey last night, as the Jackets were on the wrong end of a 5-3 loss to the Hurricanes.
- Seeds ran down who, and maybe more importantly who didn't, make the Metro squad for the NHL All-Star Game. Also, he was nice enough to give you a quick rundown of all four squads.
- From yours truly, I pondered what the Blue Jackets could do to keep the Cannon logo on a uniform with the NHL announcing there will be no alternate sweaters in 2017/18./
Columbus Blue Jackets News
- You can see our recap from last night above, but if you're wanting some more analysis, here's the view from Canes Country's side of the ice.
- Even though Cam Atkinson, for some reason, didn't make the Metro All-Star team, Michael Arace wrote a solid piece on comments former player and current TSN analyst Ray Ferraro has to say about him as a (shorter than average) player.
- How big a hit is last night's loss to the Jackets' playoff hopes? Just kidding, its just one game y'all. Anyway, here's your daily Playoff Probability Report.
National Hockey League News
- With All-Star announcements come All-Star snub opinion pieces! You can read one here, here, and here, just to get you started.
- Are you already trying to plot out what the Metropolitan lines will look like in LA? Well of course ya are!
- Return of the Mac! Well, "return," might not be the best word, but regardless, Curtis McElhinney was claimed off waivers by the Toronto Maple Leafs.
- You all read Elliotte Friedman's 30 Thoughts, right? What, you don't?! Well, have no fear, I'm here to help./
- This fall we were treated to the World Cup of Hockey. Just last weekend we were treated to the World Juniors tournament. This coming spring, we'll have the World Baseball Classic! However, it appears Team USA will be without a key arm in Max Scherzer due to a stress fracture.
- Baylor was the number one team in the nation in all of college basketball. They'll be #1 for the rest of the week, and Bears fans should treasure, because it probably won't last very long after a 89-68 loss.
- Maybe the biggest story in pro sports right now, for some reason, is the Derrick Rose saga. SBNation has a nifty storystream for all of their updates right here.