Cannon Blasts: It Is October Yet
I would like each and every one of you to give yourselves a hearty pat on the back - we have made it to October!
The countdown officially looks like this:
- TWO days until games that matter start (Wednesday, with a four-game slate)
- FOUR days until the Union Blue take the ice against the Islanders./
And, uh, that’s basically it. The season is almost here, my offline fantasy draft (which is into its second week) is nearly complete (oh, yes, you will be hearing about my team, and I will be asking for your thoughts on it, very shortly) and we are so close to the sights and sounds of hockey.
But before there is hockey, there is still preseason position battles and roster cuts and all that jazz. For the first time in the 2017/18 season, welcome to Cannon Blasts.
Columbus Blue Jackets news
- Aaron Portzline explores Nick Foligno’s move back to center over at his new home, The Athletic.
- Brandon Dubinsky returned to the ice in Saturday’s preseason finale, and that has 1st Ohio Battery very excited.
- Is Alexander Texier the next great Jackets prospect? Union and Blue says he’s making an early case.
- DUCHENE WATCH: The mood is less intense than it was this offseason, but it’s heating up maybe?
- TSN gets into the Josh Anderson saga, as well as rounds up some of the weekend’s moves./
National Hockey League news
- Sunday was a day of mourning in the hockey, and really sports, community, as a talented broadcaster in Dave Strader passed away.
- There is a lot of optimism surrounding the Arizona (that, for some reason, already feels common place and that’s strange) Coyotes. At least, Five For Howling thinks so.
- The Blue Jackets are, at the moment, very fortunate with their defense. Other teams, like the Avs, can’t say the same thing. Luckily for them, they’re at the top of the real life waiver wire and can pick freely.
- What’s that? More arena drama for the Islanders? Yuuuuup./
- U S A! U S A!! U S A!!! The U.S. are Presidents Cup champs.
- One of the big talking points of the NBA’s offseason was resting players. That won't be an issue in Cleveland this year, it appears.
- So, I have a confession to make - I was a bad, bad baseball fan this year. However, the playoffs are here and I. AM. READY. Are you?
- Is Josh Donaldson going to stay in the True North? He isn’t against it.
- The Buckeyes are back in the Top 10. The full Top 25 is also included./