Cannon Blasts - September 2, 2014
Your First September Edition of Cannon Blasts
- Ryan Lambert of Puck Daddy pulled some comparable players to Ryan Johansen at age 21 and 22, looking at what CBJ management might be able to expect from RyJo the next couple of seasons. It would have been more helpful if the contract numbers had also been included (since that's kind of the whole point).
- Porty's update (potentially pay walled) on the Johansen contract talk is basically...no update. His new "negotiation" examples now have the CBJ FO offering $3.5 million a season, but who knows where the real number is. Might this open up an opportunity for Wennberg to shine at camp with a top 6 center position open should Joey not be signed by then? (Camp starts 9/18, just fyi) Or maybe Boone Jenner will slide back to the pivot? I doubt the Jackets want to sign a free agent vet like Saku Koivu to "hold the fort" until Johansen gets signed, but I think anything and everything is on the table at this point.
- "The Coach" over at The Union Blue took a look at salaries and comparable players for Artem Anisimov, Boone Jenner, and Nathan Horton. This is Part III in The Salary Cap Series, the first two sections are linked in the article if you want to read through the previous editions.
- Into Fantasy Hockey? NHL.com has some fantasy rankings for you.
- Hockey's Future pulled together the CBJ's top 20 prospects heading into this fall. Richard Greco (the author) appears to be higher on Oscar Dansk than most, for the time being at least.
- Don't know how this slipped through the cracks, but do you like to wallow in misery during the summer (still technically not over, guys!) like a degenerate? Puck Daddy has you covered with the CBJ's Edition of Summer of Disappointment if you're into that kind of thing./
Cannon Blasts *should* be ramping up shortly for your daily reading pleasure. All seems to be quiet as we hold our collective breaths on the Joey situation. It's never a good time when you start seeing "Non-Johansen" forward lines being speculated on already, but that's the situation we're in right now (feel free to participate in the comments below). Camp starts in 16 days, and it's looking more and more likely that the Jackets could be without their #1 center well into the preseason.