Cannon Blasts - February 4, 2016
All the latest on the NHL and CBJ!
Thirty more games to the finish line, folks. We've got 25 days to the trade deadline. It's not going to be a fun spring, I don't believe. On the positive side, we should get an extended look at the barely-20-somethings in the organization. Let's see what the kids have got this final third of the season.
Lots of links to get to - we'll start at the NHL level and slowly make our way to a Columbus view.
- The story came out this past weekend that Gary Bettman signed a six-year extension as commissioner of the NHL. He's on board through 2022.
- Here is Bill Daly talking NHL expansion, the Canadian dollar, and more.
- This story from SBNation NHL has all the pictures, gifs, and videos from John Scott's All-Star Weekend. All of the feels.
- A piece from Johnny Gaudreau for The Players' Tribune.
- Somehow, Pierre LeBrun (ESPN) does not have the Jackets in last in his power rankings.
- I mentioned the trade deadline coming at the end of the month. Here is who the Toronto Sun thinks are the top names on the market.
- Bleacher Report has Scott Hartnell on its "Honorable Mention" list of its top 10 players likely to be traded before the deadline.
- Scott Burnside (ESPN) summarized each team in the Metro Division heading into the trade deadline. He didn't explicitly say it, but (obviously) expect the Jackets to be sellers.
- Scott Hartnell does appear on Allan Muir's (SI) list of players most likely to be traded by February 29th.
- Mark Scheig of The Hockey Writers had an interview piece with Jarmo Kekalainen before the All-Star break.
- Some optimism? Check out CBJ Prospect's Week in Review over at Buckeye State Hockey.
- The Blue Jackets website documented Brandon Saad's weekend in Nashville - a blog here. Photos here.
- Here are some pictures from Winter Park (open through Feb. 21) so far.
- Cam Atkinson was named the NHL's 2nd Star of the Week.
Hang in there, everyone. We'll get to see these next 3 1/2 weeks if Jarmo can work his magic in unloading some contracts. As I said in the opening, we should also get a chance to see more kids in the spotlight, and perhaps even another AHL call-up or two if guys are moved for prospects/picks.
That is about all I can point to for excitement.