Blue Jackets drop overtime thriller in Philadelphia

Blue Jackets earn another unwanted point, but are spared the second

The Jackets earned what could be a crucial point in all the wrong ways tonight when they scored late in the third and then lost in overtime to the Philadelphia Flyers 4-3.

It was a fun game to watch, but even more frustrating given the implications of earning the "loser point." There were some positives in this one, mainly the play of Trey Fix-Wolansky.

Here's how it went down...

First Period

This one felt like a couple of bad teams playing out the string right from the start. Not to

Right around the ten minute mark of the period, Carson Meyer carried the puck into the zone and threw a shot on Carter Hart. Hart couldn't handle the rebound and his defenseman couldn't find the puck to sweep it away. Liam Foudy crashed the net and swept a backhander behind Hart to open the scoring. Congrats to Tim Berni on his first NHL assist, which is crazy it took that long considering how many games he has played. Usually you get gifted a secondary assist at some point by now.

1-0 CBJ (Foudy from Meyer and Berni)

Just a few minutes later the Blue Jackets struck again. Trey Fix-Wolansky picked up a loose puck with speed after it was poked off the stick of Kent Johnson. He skated it down between the circles and wired a low shot that beat Hart clean, doubling the lead for the Jackets.

2-0 CBJ (Trey Fix Wolansky)

The Flyers had an answer for that one when Joel Farabee finished off a tic-tac-toe play. Travis Konecny found Joel Farabee in front of the net. He somewhat flubbed the shot which fooled Michael Hutchinson as he slid across the crease.

2-1 CBJ (Farabee from Konecny and Frost)

Only 34 seconds later, James Van Riemsdyk tied the game with his 300th career goal. He gathered the puck at the right circle and wired a shot that beat Hutchinson high.

2-2 (Van Riemsdyk from Cates and Laughton)

Josh Dunne and James Van Riemsdyk each sat for some offsetting minor penalties with three minutes remaining. In the dying seconds of the 4-0n-4 play, Tim Berni committed a penalty trying to disrupt a breakaway giving Philadelphia a power play to end the period.

The first period was pretty entertaining for two bad teams who probably don't hav much to play for. Philadelphia was unable to score on the abbreviated power play, and carried over about a minute into the second. Philadelphia outshot the Jackets 15-9 and looked like the better team in the later part of the period.

Second Period

Philadelphia nearly scored in the opening seconds of the period, but Michael Hutchinson denied Farabee with a strong shoulder save on a one-timer. However, the Flyers took their first lead seconds later when Owen Tippett carried the puck into the zone and roofed a shot over Hutchinson for his 25th of the year.

3-2 PHI (Tippett from Cates and Ristolainen)

Trey Fix-Wolansky nearly scored his second of the night from a nice pass on a 2-on-1 with Liam Foudy, but Hart made a nice kick save to deny him. TFW was very noticeable on the ice, and Brad Larsen took notice, occasionally double shifting him.

Lots of back and forth hockey followed a hectic opening few minutes. Philadelphia controlled the play and had the bulk of the scoring chances, but the Jackets had spurts of their own that tested Carter Hart.

A graphic showed that with 5 minutes remaining in the period, Fix-Wolansky was leading the forwards in ice-time, and it was well earned.

Philadelphia was given another late period power play, but it was negated only seconds in when Travis Konecny hauled down Gavin Bayreuther in the offensive zone. Once again, the teams played 4-on-4 to end the period. An entertaining game thus far would be decided in the final frame.

Third Period

The 4-on-4 hockey expired without any action, but moments later Johnny Gaudreau took a shot off the rush on a 2-on-1, but Carter Hart flashed the leather with a big glove save.

The Blue Jackets were granted their frst power play just over two minutes into the period, giving them a chance to tie the game. After possessing the puck and creating a few scoring chances, a turnover sent the puck the other way. Kirill Marchenko committed an interference attempting to defend the shorthanded chance for the Flyers. More 4-on-4 followed by an abbreviated power play for Philadelphia would follow.

The Flyers couldn't get through the 4-on-4 without committing another penalty, so their power play would never happen. Carson Meyer broke up a pass in the defensive zone, springing him on a semi-breakaway. Cam York hooked him at some point.

During the very short Jackets power play, the Jackets cashed in. Sean Kuraly scored his 11th goal of the year by tipping a Christiansen point shot. You may be surprised to hear that was Kuraly's first ever power play goal...or you may not because he's 4th liner.

3-3 Kuraly from Christiansen

From that point on, everyone just knew the game was destined for overtime at the very least. The Blue Jackets were dominating the period with puck possession and shots, keeping Philadelphia on their heels.

It was looking like the Blue Jackets would earn a crucial point as the time wound down in the third period, until Carson Meyer took a penalty with just under six minutes remaining.

The Flyers looked strong on the power play creating a few chances, but Michael Hutchinson made a couple strong saves to kill off the penalty.

As we all knew, this one was going to require overtime.


A tense end-to-end overtime period nearly took the entire five minutes to decide a winner. Thankfully (did I say that out loud), Owen Tippett scored in the dying seconds to spare the Blue Jackets the second point.

FINAL 4-3 PHI (Tippett from Provorov and York)

Subscribe to The Cannon

Don’t miss out on the latest articles. Sign up now to get access to the library of members-only articles.