Blue Jackets at Coyotes: Quick Takes
Here’s what happened.
A collection of my thoughts from the game (as I flip between this and the Big Ten title game):
- Matt Calvert returned! That’s good to hear that he’s recovered from his concussion symptoms
- Curtis McElhinney gives Sergei Bobrovsky a deserved night off. Let’s get a win for CMac.
- GOAL! It took 13 seconds for Boone Jenner light the lamp. Go Boone. Assists from Jack Johnson and David Savard
- Power play for Columbus, but no goal.
- 10-1 shots favoring Columbus through ten minutes. Pretty good.
- Delay of game assessed to Josh Anderson at 13:10
- ANOTHER delay of game, giving Arizona 32 seconds of a 5 on 3. Nick Foligno, come on. You have to be better than that.
- Killed the 5 on 3. Cool!
- And, immediately, Mike Smith for Arizona was assessed a penalty for playing the puck illegally. I’ve never seen that call ever, but we’re playing 4 on 4.
- No goals exchanged there.
- Foligno off for hooking late. Come on, Nick. You have to be smarter than that.
- The Jackets killed the penalty in 3 seconds when Arizona saw a guy off for slashing.
- At the end of the first, the Jackets led 1-0.
- 30 seconds into the second period, Brandon Saad went off for slashing. Columbus’ parade to the penalty box continues.
- Arizona equalized earlier in the second. A cross-seam pass saw Radim Vrbata tie the game.
- This team is playing hilariously lazy. Lots of sloppy stick work and reaching.
- Zach Werenski has been invisible as well.
- The Blue Jackets played extremely slopping, giving up no fewer than 5 odd man rushes in the period.
- Scrum in front of the net at 8:00, which is the most emotion the team has shown all night.
- Josh Anderson absolutely truck sticked Mike Smith. It looked bad live, but on replay, he was tripped into Smith by a sprawling Kevin Connauton.
- Goal Arizona. Shane Doan tipped one past CMac in front as he was battling, and CMac had no chance.
- Brandon Saad got stoned on a breakaway with 5 minutes to go.
- Arizona skated rings around Columbus for 20 minutes, and have a deserved 2-0 lead after 40 minutes.
- Massive scrum in front of Mike Smith to open the period as Columbus looked to establish an offensive presence again.
- Better start to this period.
- Seth Jones got absolutely taken out and upended by Duclair who was then hurt sliding into the boards. Hope he’s alright, but it looked pretty dirty sliding in to take out Jones’ legs. Hope that wasn’t intentional.
- Arizona killed it. Columbus never had a high danger chance. 0-3 on the power play tonight.
- Columbus applied solid pressure here for the first ten minutes. Where was this in the second period?
- Saad hit the post, and the Jackets went on another power play at 10:16.
- The Jackets drew another penalty as Sam Gagner was slashed. 1:25 of a 5 on 3 advantage for Columbus.
- No danger generated, and Arizona killed it off. Such a poor effort.
- 0-5 on the power play will not win you hockey games.
- 44 shot attempts right now and I think only one has been dangerous at all, the Jenner goal. No high danger chances.
- Cam denied on the doorstep :(
- Alexander Wennberg ties the game, because of course he did. 2 minutes to go. Saad dished the puck out on a no look pass to beat Mike Smith.
- 49-26 shots advantage, btw.
- Overtime, because of course. 2-2 game.
- Can someone stand up for Mac after he’s hit please?
- CMAC HUGE SAVE ON A 2-0 RUSH HOLY HELL AND ANOTHER SWEET JESUS
- Wennberg robbed on a breakaway!
- This has been an overtime and a half, dear lord.
- Shootout. Jeez.
- Franchise record for shots on goal, with 58.
- lol this team pulled out the win, because of course they did/
Columbus Blue Jackets 3 Arizona Coyotes 2 (SO)
Nick Foligno had an awful night, two penalties is inexcusable.
The penalties in general were a joke. This team is more disciplined than that, and have to show it.
Mike Smith was annoyingly good. Full credit to him for his performance.
The special teams need tweaked. They've looked mediocre-to-bad for a few weeks now.
That OT period took years off my life.
4 points on a two game Western road trip.
Glad the team could get CMac a win. Mac was amazing in OT and the shootout to get the job done.