It’s our first show of 2020, and we’re kicking off the new year with a bang—talking with The Athletic’s Alison Lukan! It’s a bonus-sized episode where we chat with Alison about her work exploring advanced analytics and the Columbus Blue Jackets. We discuss getting into #fancystats, which Blue Jacket does more than the numbers say, Elvis talking to the media and more.
In this episode, we discuss:
- How did Alison get started exploring hockey stats?
- What does playing hockey do for approaching the game as a fan and journalist?
- Who’s better than their traditional statistical narrative?
- What’s Alison’s go-to stat?
- What does she wish she could track?
- What work could be done at the AHL level and in the women’s game?
- Should Elvis talk to the media and does it bother the CBJ journalists?
...plus a lot more.
Our theme music is the song “Green Eyes,” by Angela Perley and the Howlin’ Moons off of their album “Homemade Vision.” Angela’s newest album is called “4:30” and you should listen to it! Go check her out at angelaperley.com.
We’re on iTunes, Spotify, Google Play and a whole lot more, so check us out on iTunes here or search “Cannon” and “SB Nation” on Apple Podcasts. Leave us a review and a rating! We welcome your thoughts and feedback in the comments, and let us know if you have questions you want us to answer. You can listen to this week’s below or download using the “Share” button in the embedded player.