Sunday, September 29, 2019 - 5:00 EDT
Nationwide Arena, Columbus, OH
Radio: WBNS 97.1 FM, TV: Fox Sports GO, BlueJackets.com
Opponent’s blog: St. Louis Game Time
St. Louis Blues (4-3-0)
Columbus Blue Jackets (2-3-1)
The preseason ends this evening as the Blue Jackets host the defending Stanley Cup champions in both teams’ final exhibition game. The Blues scored four unanswered goals against Washington on Friday night to hand the Capitals their first loss of the preseason, 4-3.
The Blue Jackets look to rebound from a lackluster 2-0 home loss to New Jersey on Friday night.
Player to Watch
Sonny Milano will play on Sunday after registering 12:58 of shot-less, pointless hockey on Friday night against New Jersey. The injury to Brandon Dubinsky improves Milano’s chance of securing a spot on the Opening Night roster, given that he would have to clear waivers—and would likely be claimed—if the organization tried to send him to Cleveland. Still, this is his final chance of the preseason to show what he can do.
The saga of Sonny stretches on, but he’s caught some breaks with the departure of last season’s big-name forwards, favorable contract stipulations (Emil Bemstrom would have to go to Sweden, Jakob Lilja doesn’t have to clear waivers and isn’t playing tonight) and injuries (Dubinsky and Liam Foudy). He’s not guaranteed a spot, but a strong performance tonight would sure help. Eric Robinson may have something to say about that, though...
- The Blue Jackets called up Robinson on Saturday from Cleveland. Robinson has played in two games this preseason, scoring the game-winner against Pittsburgh on September 21. It seems they want another look at him before Tuesday’s 5 p.m. roster deadline.
- Josh Anderson left Friday’s game after blocking a shot with his hand, but did return. He will sit tonight, as will Boone Jenner. Emil Bemstrom and Marko Dano will draw in. David Savard and Andrew Peeke will not play tonight.
- No starting goaltender named at the time of this writing, but will update when it’s announced.
- If you like preseason games, good news: The CBJ will play one more exhibition next year, per Aaron Portzline.
Told #CBJ are going back to eight preseason games (from seven) next year, but they’ll knock off two games in one day early in camp via split-squad. https://t.co/IbY7Ih0Kxy— Aaron Portzline (@Aportzline) September 29, 2019
The Other Bench
- Since beating Columbus on September 22, the Blues dropped games to Dallas and Detroit before Friday night’s dramatic comeback against the Capitals. St. Louis will not bring its full roster to Nationwide Arena, but called up Alexey Toropchenko and sent down Jake Walman on Saturday.
- Justin Faulk made his St. Louis debut on Friday night following last week’s trade from Carolina. The team played him with Alex Pietrangelo on the top pair and Faulk tallied four hits and was a plus-1 in 22:10 of action. It’s apparently an experiment, and with Pietrangelo out for tonight, Faulk will have a new partner against the Blue Jackets.
- St. Louis won the Cup last season? I guess? Good for them. Klim Kosten, Jayden Schwartz and Brayden Schenn lead the team with six points apiece this preseason.
Columbus Blue Jackets
Forwards: Alexander Wennberg, Cam Atkinson, Gustav Nyqust, Pierre-Luc Dubois, Riley Nash, Sonny Milano, Oliver Bjorkstrand, Alexandre Texier, Eric Robinson, Emil Bemstrom, Marko Dano, Nick Foligno
Defensemen: Seth Jones, Scott Harrington, Zach Werenski, Ryan Murray, Vladislav Gavrikov, Markus Nutivaara
Goaltenders: Joonas Korpisalo, Elvis Merzlikins
St. Louis Blues
Forwards: Ivan Barbashev, Sammy Blais, Robby Fabbri, Tanner Kaspick, Klim Kostin, Mackenzie MacEachern, Austin Poganski, Ryan Olsen, Zach Sanford, Oskar Sundqvist, Robert Thomas, Alexey Toropchenko
Defense: Andreas Borgman, Vince Dunn, Justin Faulk, Niko Mikkola, Colton Parayko, Mitch Reinke
Goalies: Jake Allen, Jordan Binnington
Real games start soon! Specifically Friday!