So I joined The Cannon in July, which makes this the first game recap I’ve ever written here. PD gave me a few pointers beforehand, notably “each of us has our own voice,” and “feel free to get creative with the recaps.”
With that being said, welcome to my stream-of-consciousness recap of Preseason Game #1, perforated by some relevant tweets I see as I scan Twitter during the unnecessary TV time-outs that are still happening for some reason.
- Warm-up playlist is hype; whoever curates these should get a raise.
- Starters: Dean Kukan, Seth Jones, Sonny Milano, Emil Bemstrom, Riley Nash, Joonas Korpisalo.
- The pump-up intro video is awesome, considering the added difficulty of having to obfuscate all footage of the players who left the team since last season.
- Joonas’ face looks identical to Bob’s when he has his mask on, which is weird. Does anyone else see that, or do I just have Bob on the brain?
- Three things in life are certain: death, taxes, and me almost falling out of my chair in the press box when the cannon blasts.
#CBJ takes the ice. First cannon blast of the year is in the books. Darn thing still works, it turns out.— Jeff Svoboda (@JacketsInsider) September 17, 2019
- Bemstrom nails in a goal 52 seconds into the first period on a PP, assisted by Seth Jones and Alexandre Texier.
- Worth noting: Werenski and Jones are both playing, but not together.
Interesting lineup note for #CBJ ... Werenski and Jones are both playing, but not as a pairing.— Brian Hedger (@BrianHedger) September 17, 2019
Jones is RD on the first pairing w/Kukan; Werenski is the LD on the second pairing w/Peeke.
Could be just a preseason deal or a prelude to splitting them up to start out.
- More on lines from Brian:
Thurkauf playing LW with Dubinsky in the middle and Sherwood on the right side.— Brian Hedger (@BrianHedger) September 17, 2019
Dubinsky and Sherwood were paired up on a line during scrimmages, as well. Perhaps a look at what they might do on a fourth line together?
We shall see.#CBJ
- The Jumbotron played a highlight reel of Werenski moments and then panned to him watching and I think he... smiled?? I think it was his first public display of emotion ever, and it was glorious. If you blinked, you missed it.
WERENSKI SMILED, THE SEASON IS A SUCCESS— Megan ⭐️ Rapinoe ⭐️ stan ⭐️ account ⭐️ (@Eric_Seeds) September 17, 2019
End of first period notable items:
- Seth Jones is good at hockey.
- 1-0 Jackets, with 13 shots by the Jackets and 7 by the Sabres.
- In case you forgot or somehow missed my earlier note, Seth Jones is good at hockey.
- The in-game music features a lot more women than I remember hearing at past games — Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish, Whitney Houston — yessssss ladies! See my aforementioned note on giving the playlist curator a raise.
- God dammit, they played the pizza song. Going to look into the legality and feasibility of getting a restraining order from a song on the grounds that it makes my eardrums bleed.
- Sherwood laid out Sabres’ D Casey Fitzgerald in a huge, clean hit. Ouch.
- Halfway through the game, Matiss Kivlenieks replaces Korpi, who was looking solid with 13 saves, not all of them easy.
- Sabres’ Jake McCabe blasts a shot through a crowd and sneaks the puck behind Kivlenieks, tying things up 1-1.
- Columbus local Sherwood scores his first goal in Nationwide Arena — pretty sure I said he was going to have a breakout season this year in an article a few weeks back, and Brian agrees with me, so I’m feeling good about that. Score’s 2-1 now.
Asked Kole Sherwood on Sunday if he feels like this is his year to break into the NHL full time.— Brian Hedger (@BrianHedger) September 18, 2019
Answer: "I mean, I don’t feel like it is. I know it is. That’s not being cocky. It’s confidence."
Kid's on a mission this year.
End of second period notable items:
Well, Jeff pretty much sums it up here...
#CBJ up 2-1 after two periods. Shots are 26-18, Jackets. Goals so far from Bemstrom and Sherwood. It's essentially how you'd draw up a preseason game, with the young kids showing off their talents.— Jeff Svoboda (@JacketsInsider) September 18, 2019
- Yay, time for the Oliver Bjorkstrand highlight reel — Svoboda made the astute observation that “if you drew someone who looked like he was named Oliver Bjorkstrand, you’d end up with an exact picture of Oliver Bjorkstrand.”
- YES THEY’RE PLAYING LIZZO!!!
- Matiss Kivlenieks makes some important saves on a Buffalo power play as Sam Vigneault serves a penalty.
- Sonny Milano scores with 5:45 left in the third — that’s a step in the right direction. Also he got a haircut, looks nice.
- Da, da da da da da, CHILI!! This is great, all 17 spectators who attended the game can get free chili tomorrow.
- Zac Dalpe with an empty-netter at 1:26 remaining — ends the preseason opener 4-1, Jackets.
End of game takeaways:
It was a good showing by a mix of young guys who are all vying for a spot on the roster — their efforts to impress were aided by a lackluster performance on the Sabres’ behalf. Both goalies looked good and made some impressive saves.
The guys have tomorrow off before playing the P**guins in Pittsburgh on Thursday.