On Sunday night, the NHL Network released their list of the “Top 10 Goaltenders Right Now” as part of a series of countdowns running every Sunday in August and September. The network’s analyst ranked the Columbus Blue Jackets’ Sergei Bobrovsky at No. 1.
Sergei Bobrovsky, a two time Vezina winner, who ranked third on this list last year, finished ahead of Braden Holtby of the Washington Capitals. Bobrovsky’s honors allow him to join Artemi Panarin (ranked tenth among current wings) and Seth Jones and Zach Werenski (ranked sixth and twelfth among defensemen, respectively.
Here’s what Brian Boucher had to say about Bobrovsky:
“The one thing that stands out to me with Sergei Bobrovsky is his athleticism. This guy is as good an athlete as we have in the game today. One of the things that allows him to be so great [is] that cross-ice plays are not an issue for Sergei Bobrovsky. This guy is so powerful in his legs, his flexibility is so good, he’s able to get to pucks that other goalies simply cannot get to.”
NHL Network’s Top 10 Goalies Right Now, 1-10:
1. Sergei Bobrovsky, Columbus Blue Jackets
2. Braden Holtby, Washington Capitals
3. Andrei Vasilevskiy, Tampa Bay Lightning
4. Connor Hellebuyck, Winnipeg Jets
5. Jonathan Quick, Los Angeles Kings
6. Marc-Andre Fleury, Vegas Golden Knights
7. Pekka Rinne, Nashville Predators
8. Tuukka Rask, Boston Bruins
9. Frederik Andersen, Toronto Maple Leafs
10. John Gibson, Anaheim Ducks