WBS Penguins (3) at Cleveland Monsters (0)
The Cleveland Monsters were hoping to extend their win-streak to four games tonight. However, the Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins had plans of beating the Monsters.
The Penguins’ plans came to fruition with a 3-0 win over the Monsters.
The first goal of the night came 6:48 into the first period courtesy of Penguins’ left wing, Garrett Wilson. He caught Jean-Francois Berube at just the right moment and launched the puck through his five-hole.
Six minutes and 15 seconds into the second period Sam Lafferty extended the Penguins’ lead over the Monsters to 2-0. He raced towards the net and fired off a shot from the faceoff dot.
With 5:17 left in the game, Anthony Angello fired off a shot from the right faceoff dot through Berube’s five-hole to give the Penguins the 3-0 lead.
The Monsters were unable to get find the back of the net before time ran out.
But Wait! There’s More
- Tonight was a rough debut for Mark Letestu. In the first five minutes of the game, the puck was stolen from Letestu and he went to the box for interference. He missed a few key connections as well. Starting him out on the first line might not have been a good idea either. Letestu has made a career out of being a NHL third/fourth liner. The first line in the AHL doesn’t equate to being on the fourth line in the NHL. Each line plays a different role in the game. So, unless you have a team full of first liners, placing someone from the bottom six in the top three isn’t going to work out well.
- Tommy Cross is nice to have in front of the net and in the neutral zone. He uses the right amount of aggression.
- Vitaly Abramov’s stick-handling is pretty phenomenal.
- As expected, every time Eric Robinson touched the puck the Penguins were all over him.
- The team playing tonight was quite different than the past three games. The energy was different. The communication was different. Everything just seemed to be different.
- The Monsters were on the kill 11 times tonight. In fact, they spent most of the second period down a man. It’s tough to get a leg up on the game when you are constantly playing catchup.
“Eleven power plays for the other team in a game, whether they’re legit penalties or not, it’s a tough night. We couldn’t get any momentum going. You’re not even sure what a penalty is and what’s not. Something that’s not called early is called late. It was a tough night. Eleven penalties – that’s a lot of kills.” – Head Coach John Madden
- Jean-Francois Berube needs to find a way to work on closing his five-hole all the way. Berube drops down with such force that he pops up a hair after hitting the ice.
1st – Anthony Peters (28 saves, 28 shots faced, TOI 58:38)
2nd – Garrett Wilson (1g, 0a)
3rd – Stefan Elliot (0g, 2a)
Mark Letestu made his Cleveland Monsters debut tonight.
The Cleveland Monsters and Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins meet back at Quicken Loans Arena at 7pm on Saturday, October 11th.
Monstoberfest will take place on Saturday. The concessions will sell Oktoberfest beer and Bavarian pretzels. It’s also the last time you can donate socks for those in need.