Yesterday, some of the Cannon's writing staff was having a conversation spawned from an article that will be noted below (and I'll be sure to point it out to you) surrounding a Vegas mock draft. It seems like the most popular opinion that the Golden Knights will select Jack Johnson from the Blue Jackets, but *ESPN 30-for-30 voice* what if I told you *end voice* that there's a different option that, might sound crazy, but actually could work?
Full disclosure - the credit to this thought goes to Eric "Literally The Worst" Seeds. Okay, here we go: what if the Jackets don't lose Johnson to Vegas, but instead, loses out on a popular young gun in William Karlsson.
I know, I know. You're probably not a huge fan of that right off the bat. But, here's the thing. As Seeds pointed out, Johnson has been playing pretty well when paired with David Savard this season, and Johnson next year, has just one year left on his contract. Plus, youngster Gabriel Carlson is waiting in the wings (well, not really in the wings...you get what I mean), and could be ready for the 2018-19 season.
Plus, when it comes to it, I bet you anything the Jackets will wanna protect Brandon Saad, Alexander Wennberg, Cam Atkinson and Boone Jenner before Karlsson. Just a numbers game at that point.
Columbus Blue Jackets News
- Did you see Matt's recap of the win in Philly? No? Well you should fix that.
- The Jackets are gonna celebrate their Fifth Line with Fifth Line Appreciation Night when Philly comes to town on March 25.
- Who wants to take a walk down memory lane? Perfect! Here's a recap of all the preseason predictions for how bad Columbus was going to be this year. Hindsight can be a wonderful thing.
Cleveland Monsters News
- It was, uh, not a good night for the Monsters, who were blanked by San Antonio last night.
National Hockey League News
- Here's the Vegas Mock Draft I alluded to at the very beginning this morning. It's pretty good and very in-depth.
- Speaking of the expansion draft, should team's protected lists become public as soon as possible? You decide. (Well, not really.)
- Old friend in the news alert: Artem Anisimov is day-to-day with a lower body injury. Rest well, Arty.
- Do the Calgary Flames have your attention yet? They've only won 10 straight contests.
- The streak is over! The streak is over! Alex Ovechkin finally scores after 10 games as the Caps beat the Wild 4-2.
- Bobby Ryan deleted his twitter account yesterday. I honestly didn't know about his checkered past, but uhhh, wow. Some things happened with Bobby Ryan on twitter.
- You can go ahead and Sharpie Mount St. Mary's and Kansas State into the field of 64, as the first two First Four games were played last night.
- If you weren't paying attention to the World Baseball Classic, things got a little weird - Mexico beat Venezuela, but Venezuela prevailed over the Mexicans due to a bizarre tie breaker rule. Long story short, Venezuela is playing in the one-game playoff game and Mexico aint happy about it.
- Could the Bengals become major spenders this offseason in Free Agency? Perhaps.
- Is Kirk Cousins coming to Cleveland? Again, perhaps.