Iowa Wild (1) at Cleveland Monsters (0) - Overtime
Sixty minutes wasn't enough time to determine a winner during Saturday night's game. The Wild and Monsters had to go to a 3-on-3, sudden death overtime.
With 1:23 left in overtime, Anas saw Mitchell turning on his burners and quickly sauced the puck his way. Mitchell flew down the ice with the puck and fired it into the net past Thiessen's right side.
But Wait! There's More
- The Ramage – Yevenko pairing is one aggressive partnership. Tonight's game was full of heavy hits and antagonizing at it's best. They are also a great team to have along the boards. Yevenko will fight for the puck with two opponents. Ramage will sit back a little and push the opponent back into the board if they try to come up for air or try to take off with the puck.
- I'm pretty sure no one is afraid to sacrifice their body to stop a shot. John Ramage blocked a shot with the area around his wrist in Friday night's game. Saturday night, Ryan Craig threw his body in front of a heavy-handed shot headed towards Thiessen.
- Bjorkstrand's accuracy has been askew since the All-Star break. Most of his shots have been just wide of the goal.
- Milano has become more aggressive with each passing game. Tonight he checked someone into the boards and the guy was completely stunned.
- The Monsters attacked the blue paint more than on Friday night but not enough to get them a goal.
- Recently, I've seen a lot of arguing with the refs about a call or no call during the game. I hope this doesn't turn into a trend. Yes, some things aren't called and it gets frustrating. Especially, when you are bleeding or writhing on the ground in pain. The time spent complaining about a no call could be spent chasing down your man. In the words of John Madden from earlier this season, “Whether you agree or disagree, at the end of the day you’re not going to be able to change it”.
1st – Zack Mitchell ( 1g, 0a)
2nd – Steve Michalek ( 17 saves, 17 shots faced, TOI - 63:37)
3rd – Brad Thiessen ( 23 saves, 24 shots faced, TOI – 63:37)
There were no milestones for either team tonight.
The Monsters play four games this coming week.
First, they take a quick two-game road trip where they play the Milwaukee Admirals on Tuesday (02/07) and the Iowa Wild on Wednesday (02/08).
The Monsters return home to play the Manitoba Moose on Friday(02/10) and Sunday (02/12) .