Iowa Wild (3) at Cleveland Monsters (0)
The Monsters aren't even 25 games into the season and tonight was the fifth time they were shutout.
Sam Anas was the first Wild to score with 4:40 left in the first period. He went one-on-one with Calvin Thurkauf before firing a shot from inside the left faceoff circle. The puck sailed over Matiss Kivlenieks' glove and into the back of the net.
With 35 seconds left in the first period, the Wild extended their lead to 2-0. A lot of Kivlenieks view was blocked courtesy of his teammate Gabriel Carlsson. Brennan Menell fired a shot towards Kivlenieks who was tied up with his teammate. The puck slowly moved under his pads into the net.
The third and final goal of the night came 15:11 into the second period. Zach Palmquist fired off a shot from the right wall which sailed over Kivlenieks glove.
But Wait! There's More
- The first Monsters power play consisted mostly of passing. Their second power play had a few good looks and pucks shot directly into Motte's pads. The third time was not the charm for the Monsters. The Wild completely dominated during the third Monsters' power play.
- Both of the Monsters' penalty kills had their ups and downs. There were a few takeaways and some beautiful shots on net. However, the Wild attacked the net way more than they should have been allowed.
- Gabriel Carlsson got in Matiss Kivlenieks' way too many times tonight. One time he was in the net behind Kivlenieks and fell on top of him. Sometimes you just have to let your goalie to the job.
- Calvin Thurkauf reminds me of the 2016-17 Paul Bittner. He's trying so hard to make things happen for the Monsters.
- No matter how the Monsters try they just can't seem to find the back of the net.
“Guys are doing some good things. At the end of the day, if you can't score goals, it's hard to win hockey games.” - John Madden
1st – C.J. Motter (34 shots faced, 34 saves, SHUTOUT, 60:00)
2nd – Sam Anas (1g, 0a)
3rd – Brennan Menell (1g, 0a)
For the second game in a row, Carter Camper, Alex Broadhurst, and Andre Benoit wore the “A” on their sweater.
The Monsters continue their four-game home streak on Wednesday, December 18th.
Wednesday night's games against the Iowa Wild is “College ID” night. With a valid college ID, you can purchase $6 tickets at the box office and a $6 “College Meal Deal”.
On Friday the 22nd, the Monsters take on the Milwaukee Admirals for “Star Wars Night”. All game presentations will be Star Wars themed and characters will be in attendance. It's also “1-2-3 Friday”. You can get $1 Pepsi products, $2 hot dogs, and select beers for $3.
The first 10,000 fans on Saturday will receive a Monsters knit cap.
All games are at 7pm est.