Welcome to Tuesday, the final Tuesday of the offseason.
Actually, scratch that. Happy final Anyday of the offseason.
That’s right, yall. The regular season start
T O M O R R O W
So, you know, get pumped.
Before we dive into links, I want to get your opinion on something: my fantasy hockey team.
I usually do two or three leagues each year (and actually contemplated starting a Jackets Cannon league but never did so), but this year it’s just one and I think I like my team, but I’d like some more eyes on it.
The league I play in is a bit different - it’s forwards and defensemen as opposed to C/LW/RW/D...well, you get the drill.
I wont go super too in depth in the scoring, but will tell you its a head-to-head league, where goals are worth three points, an assist is worth two, a hat trick is five freakin’ points, a shot AND a point on the power play will earn ya a point and is three for a goalie win, five for a shutout and you lose a point for every goal you allow.
Alright, with that in mind, here’s my team. Oh, and the number after the player is the pick I took him with - I was the 11th pick in a 12-team league.
Jamie Benn (11)
Artemi Panarin (32)
Mark Scheifele (59)
Nikolaj Ehlers (83)
Jonathan Toews (107)
Ryan Johansen (131)
Oliver Bjorkstrand (154)
Kyle Turris (158)
Tomas Hertl (182)
Patric Hornqvist (203)
Radim Vrbata (206)
Nick Schmaltz (230)
Mathieu Perreault (251)
Pierre-Luc Dubois (254)
Zack Werenski (14)
Shea Weber (41)
Noah Hanifin (86)
Ivan Provorov (110)
Marc-Edouard Vlasic (134)
Zdeno Chara (179)
Cam Talbot (65)
Jaroslav Halak (227)
I’ll say the following - I like the top-end of my offense, I like the top four on my defense (even though it may be a bit young) and I’m hoping Halak proves to be a steal at 227.
Oh, you’re hear for links, aren’t ya? Here you go.
- The big Blue Jackets news of the day broke last night, when it was reported that Josh Anderson has agreed to a new deal with the Jackets.
- The Toronto Maple Leafs made some roster cuts yesterday, which included former Jacket Kerby Rychel being waived. Union and Blue says that confirms the Jackets won that trade.
- Speaking of roster moves, the Jackets are beginning to finalize their roster and it appears our boy Pierre-Luc Dubois is going to make the cut.
- So what if ESPN wrote their Blue Jackets preview like a week ago. I didn’t see it. Did you?
National Hockey League news
- It was a somber day in the league’s newest city, and Knights On Ice penned an open letter to the Sin City.
- The VGK organization also issued an official statement following the deadly shooting on the Vegas strip.
- The team also announced some changes to their schedule this week, including rescheduling a fan fest.
- If Wayne Gretzky is the Great One, and Mario Lemuix is the other Great One, is Jaromir Jagr the Really Really Really Good One? Anyway, he has inked a deal with Calgary.
- TSN’s Frank Seravalli took a look at top lines across the league. I wont tell you where Columbus’ ranked, but I will say they came in at #9.
- TSN also unveiled their first power rankings of the season. Again, I wont tell you where the Jackets landed, but they came in higher than their top-line ranking.
- Boy oh boy oh boy are my Braves in trouble. First there was this, then this, and then...you know what, just head over to Talking Chop. They’ve got you covered.
- As if my woes as an Atlanta fan can’t get worse, turns out the Falcons didn’t convert on 4th down while the Bills had ONLY TEN MEN ON THE FIELD AHDKLF;HAS;LDFJ.
- In non-Atlanta news, and probably news you care more about, the impeccable Grant Brisbee ranked the 25 possible World Series matchups.
- Fantasy football owners might want to look away, because you can add Dalvin Cook to the list of guys who are done for the year.