Tomorrow, the Jackets will take to the ice for one of my two favorite games of the year.
I’ve lamented multiple times on the blogosphere about what Jets/Jackets games mean to me, but I’m going to lament once more.
The Atlanta Thrashers, for as long as I could remember, were my favorite team, because hockey was my favorite sport. (Yes, the Braves were a close second, as I am a southern 90’s kid, after all.)
Unfortunately, I wasn’t the hockey fan and watcher that I am today before the Thrashers left town, so while I have many fond memories of watching their games, they aren’t as strong as I’d like them to be.
It sounds funny to say, but the Thrashers leaving Atlanta literally hurt. For the first year (okay, like first three or four years) I would expletive any time I heard the city of “Winnipeg” or the name “Jets.”
But, I must admit, I’ve been better. Having the Jackets (and this community and the Cannon writing staff) have helped. Tremendously. As has time. (Like any break up, especially a bad one.)
It’s a joke with me and some of my friends that Winnipeg is just hell on earth, and sure, I’ll play up my hatred for the city and team, but time heals all wounds and I’ll be able to see the logo and not want to throw up in my mouth one day.
No, I don’t think I’ll ever get over it. Even if Atlanta gets a third crack at a team (which I would love to see happen in my life time, which I know is asking for a lot), I’ll still always resent the Jets.
But, I have the Jackets now, and wouldn’t be here - literally right here, with you - if it weren’t for it.
Having said all that, I would like to say this - I hope the Blue Jackets destroy Winnipeg into oblivion tomorrow night. I don’t care if we lose 10 straight games afterwards, I want a 15-1 victory.
/takes deep breaths/ Sorry about that. Got a bit worked up.
I’m going to go punch a wall now. You enjoy some links.
Columbus Blue Jackets news
- Sonny Milano has proven to be a valuable asset early this year for the Jackets. Is there more to come for him?
- Markus Nutivaara is coming back to the Blue Jackets from Cleveland.
- How does Columbus expect (or hope) to fill the hole left by Boone Jenner’s extended absence?
- The Jackets have won four of their first five games, but there’s one glaring issue. All together now: The power play.
Cleveland Monsters news
- The Monsters split their weekend set with the Manitoba Moose by falling on Sunday by a 4-1 final score.
National Hockey League news
- The NHL is reportedly looking into a way to not play the All-Star Game but, rather, some sort of international competition thing? But don’t send NHL players to the Olympics. I gotcha, Bettman.
- Vegas is one of, if not the, early season feel-good story. However, their name trademark is still in dispute.
- Speaking of Vegas, they have a mascot! And it’s not a Knight. That’s...something. (It certainly is Golden, however.)
- It seems Mark Streit’s days with the Habs are done.
- In what may be the most shocking and devastating injury of the NFL season, it seems Aaron Rodger’s year is done after he broke a collarbone.
- The Los Angeles Dodgers will head to Chicago with a 2-0 series lead, thanks to a walk-off Justin Turner homer.
- The NBA season begins tomorrow and the Golden State Warriors are the favorites for another title. Let me show you my shocked face.