Outside of actual games that happened this weekend, it was a bit of a slow news week around the NHL. However, it didn't start that way, as Saturday news came down that the NHL didn't have it's Breakaway Challenge listed in its events for the Skills Challenge this year, and that might become the norm.
At the surface, this news doesn't make a ton of sense. You're taking a skills competition out of the Skills Competition, yet you use it to decide regular-season games.
But, however, if SportsNet's Nick Kypreos is correct, the players don't really dig it and if you can come up with something different or include more players in fewer events, I guess it evens itself out.
Just for fun, here's Ryan Johansen wearing an Ohio State jersey in the 2015 Skills Contest.
Alright, lets get to your links.
Columbus Blue Jackets News
- The Jackets split their Florida trek this past weekend with a comeback win in Tampa but a tough loss in Florida. We have your recaps for you. Also, our pals at Raw Charge and Litter Box Cats have you covered from their vantage point.
- The Blue Jackets have lost four of their last six games, but don't fret, because the Jackets are still in good shape. Aaron Portzline lays it all out for you, if you don't believe me.
Cleveland Monsters News
- The Monsters had a less successful weekend, falling to the Charlotte Checkers in a shootout. Please, don't ever let Anton Forsberg face anyone or anything to do with the Hurricanes ever again.
- The Checkers proceeded to sweep the weekend against the Monsters, who now sit in fourth place in the AHL Central Division with a 17-14-1 overall mark (good for 38 points)
National Hockey League News
- A Cannon Blasts first this year, some fantasy hockey talk! Here are 20 fantasy hockey thoughts from SportsNet's Steve Laidlaw, Ian Gooding and Darryl Dobbs.
- Sergei Bobrovsky was the main story in TSN's injury roundup, which I literally just found but I kind of love it.
- Concerned that the NHL hasn't decided whether or not it will continue to allow players to participate in the Olympics? Don't worry, because there doesn't seem to be a real set deadline on the issue.
- Congrats to (my) Atlanta Falcons, the Green Bay Packers and the New England Patriots for advancing to conference title week. One more game until the Super Bowl, y'all. Oh yeah, the Steelers advanced too.
- Does Joey Votto have a path to the Hall of Fame? Red Reporter says yes.
- The Washington Nationals and Bryce Harper avoided arbitration over the weekend. I know a good number of you don't care, but I include it because GOOD GOD THAT MONETARY FIGURE.
- I love when American leagues play in other countries, like the NBA did this past week in Mexico City. But I don't know how I feel about a "midseason tournament" anywhere. But more games in Mexico City, I could get behind.