The Blasts have been largely silent in the offseason - we've covered the draft and free agency pretty extensively here. That said, it's time for a quick update on all things #CBJ from around the web.
- First, we have an APB out for Nicky1992, who won our NHL Bracket Challenge. So far, I have received no contact from this person, but he (or she) is not a registered member of the site under that same username. If I don't hear from our winner, the prize may end up going to Josh Owen, who finished in 2nd place.
- Reports came out over the weekend that the Jackets tried to add a defenseman to the team, either via trade at/before the draft and then through free agency. They ended up striking out, and now are left with the most expensive group of forwards at the moment. Money spent on the current group of defensemen would be the third-lowest in the entire league. With the current projected cap space to be below $4 million, Jarmo is in a difficult position to add a top 4 guy.
- In case you missed it awhile ago on the CBJ blogosphere - The Union Blue has now merged with BS Hockey to create Buckeye State Hockey.
- Speaking of, CBJ Prospects takes a look at #WerenskiWatch.
- Several current and former Blue Jackets dot the offseason top 200 for fantasy.
- Union and Blue writer Frank Walker believes Columbus should bid for the WJC. While the area does have two 17,000+ seat arenas (both of which are less than 20 years old), Aaron Portzline addressed this in a chat this past season and said the lack of ~10,000 seat, mid-size arenas probably prevents Columbus from being a viable host.
- Buckeye State Hockey gives you an extensive look at the Jackets' offseason additions in Brandon Saad and Gregory Campbell and their goal breakdowns.
- The Blue Jackets Foundation donated a record amount ($850,000) to local youth hockey organizations.