The Jackets were back in action after the Christmas break, and were again without captain Nick Foligno. Now, on to the highlights:
- Ben Bishop vs. Joonas Korpisalo in the cages.
- CBJ Penalty at 2:50 into the first. Scott Hartnell to the box for slashing Jonathan Marchessault's stick. Penalty killed.
- TAMPA GOAL: Andrej Sustr point shot, redirected up and over Korpisalo's pads by former Jacket Mike Blunden.
- Steven Stamkos and Boone Jenner trade partial breakaways.
- CBJ GOAL: David Clarkson stupid turnover, Tampa turning up the offensive pressure. Jackets gain possession, move the puck up-ice. Tampa failed clear, Boone Jenner gathers puck, spins, and fires shot on-net, where it was redirected off the skate of Rene Bourque.
- Bourque goal ignited him, as he was on-fire in opening period. Lots of offensive chances.
- Alexander Wennberg playing with a ton of swagger right now.
- Tampa penalty with 5:47 left, when Victor Hedman was given delay-of-game penalty for flipping puck over the glass. CBJ no joy on the powerplay.
- Ryan Johansen with the haircut. Now featuring the high and tight look.
- CBJ penalty with 3:24 left in first. Cheesy call, Boone grabbed Hedman's collar briefly. Tampa unable to convert on powerplay.
- Chaos in front of Korpisalo to end the first, shots 14-9 Jackets.
- CBJ GOAL: Early in second period, Brandon Saad gathered the puck behind the Tampa goal line, feeding Dalton Prout at the point. Prout floated a shot toward the net, where it was redirected by Wennberg and Hartnell in front.
- CBJ penalty with 15:04 left. Prout to box for cross-checking.
- Ensuing faceoff, Gregory Campbell sent to the box for faceoff violation (using his hand to play the puck).
- On the ensuing faceoff to the ensuing faceoff, Jack Johnson sent to the box for sending the puck over the glass. Result: 5-on-3, with Johnson's penalty starting at the end of Prout's (or if a goal is scored on Prout's penalty).
- Naturally, the Lightning score on the five-on-three. TAMPA GOAL from Stamkos, from his HQ at the left dot.
- With four seconds left in the second five-on-three, Stamkos scores another TAMPA GOAL, from nearly the same spot.
- Coach Tortorella challenged the call, but there was no reason to overturn the call.
- Midway through the period, Bishop left his net to play the puck in the trapezoid, and while behind his net he was flattened by a check from Hartnell. All hell broke loose, with the result being a five-minute charging major and a game misconduct to Hartnell, five minutes each for fighting to Johansen and Vladislav Namestnikov, and two minutes to Alex Killorn for roughing.
- This put the teams four-on-four for two minutes or less, with the remainder from five minutes being the Hartnell major.
- TAMPA GOAL with 13 seconds left in the major. Ryan Callahan sent a pass from down low to Nikita Nesterov, who wired it past Korpisalo to give his team a 4-2 lead.
- Curtis McElhinney in to start the third.
- Jackets get powerplay with Blunden in the net for slashing Jack Johnson, but not able to score.
- After penalty expired, TAMPA GOAL when after Johnson misplayed the puck at the Tampa blueline, Jason Garrison led a two-on-one, keeping the puck and wiring a wrister past McElhinney.
- With 7:25 left, nasty collision between Johansen and Bourque near Tampa blueline. Both players were shaken up, but would return.
- Teams traded powerplays late in the game, no change in score.
FINAL SCORE: 5-2 Lightning
1) Not a pretty game by the Jackets. The three straight penalties in the second sealed their fate.
2) Hartnell knows better than to hit Bishop, there. Now, I'm of the opinion that if the goalie leaves his crease he's fair game, but you know the refs are going to call something there.
3) Nice gesture by the Lightning to welcome home Tortorella's son Dominick, who is returning from deployment.
Jackets are back in action tomorrow night, against the Panthers.