Three games to go. Thankfully, for whatever reason, the Blue Jackets have been kryptonite for the Sharks this season, to the tune of two wins and a total score of 10-2.
But, let's look at the bigger picture for a moment. If the Jackets go 3-0-0 in these last three games, they finish at 24-17-7, good for 55 points. If they do that, the following things would have to happen to keep the Jackets OUT of the playoffs:
1. Dallas would need to earn eight points in their last four games. Considering they play Columbus head-to-head, and we're assuming Columbus goes 3-0-0, if the Jackets win out Dallas can't keep them out of the playoffs.
2. Detroit would need to earn seven points in their final four games. They play against LA at home, and at Dallas to close out the season. Not exactly an easy task, no matter how you slice it.
So, basically, yeah. Win these three games.
Columbus Blue Jackets
(21-17-7, 49 Points; 3rd division, 8th conference)
|Vinny Prospal||Mark Letestu||Marian Gaborik|
|R.J. Umberger||Ryan Johansen||Nick Foligno|
|Blake Comeau||Brandon Dubinsky||Cam Atkinson|
|Colton Gillies||Derek MacKenzie||Jared Boll|
|Fedor Tyutin||James Wisniewski|
|Jack Johnson||David Savard|
|Tim Erixon||Dalton Prout|
San Jose Sharks
(24-13-7, 55 Points; 3rd Division, 5th Conference)
|Patrick Marleau||Logan Couture||Martin Havlat|
|T.J. Galiardi||Joe Thornton||Brent Burns|
|Raffi Torres||Joe Pavelski||Tommy Wingels|
|Andrew Desjardins||Scott Gomez||Adam Burish|
|Matt Irwin||Dan Boyle|
|Brad Stuart||Scott Hannan|
|Marc-Edouard Vlasic||Justin Braun|
Season Series02/11/13 - San Jose 2 at Columbus 604/09/13 - San Jose 0 at Columbus 404/21/13 - Columbus at San Jose
Head to Head
San Jose Columbus 2.43 (23) GPG 2.33 (28) 2.30 (5) GAPG 2.44 (10) 19.6% (10) PP% 12.2% (30) 86.1% (5) PK% 83.4% (10) Logan Couture, 19 G leader Marian Gaborik, 12 Joe Thornton, 32 A leader Fedor Tyutin, 17 Joe Thornton, 39 Pts leader Vinny Prospal, 27 Andrew Desjardins, 59 PIM leader Jared Boll, 95 16-1-5 Road/Home 8-12-2 4/18 vs Minnesota, W 6-1 Last Game 4/18 @ Los Angeles, L 2-1 7-2-1 Last 10 7-3-0
- More PPGs, Less PPGs Allowed - We've been pining for the former for quite sometime, but of late the Jackets' PK has been having some bad luck as well as some shoddy play. The Jackets have allowed seven PPGs in their last 25 times short-handed (72.0%), and have allowed PPGs in their last four games (8-for-12, 66.7% on the kill). This is the worst time for the PK to desert this team.
- Heat Check - The Sharks are hot, with an 11-2-1 record in their last 14 games. One of those two losses, of course, was the 4-0 shutout to Columbus. We got some help from San Jose against Minnesota, and will need some as they play Dallas right after us. But, for tonight, we could use some help from them on the other side.
- Rested - The Blue Jackets finally got some rest, and will get some more after this game. No excuses not to play a full, hard 60 minutes. For whatever reason, the Jackets have had the Sharks' number this season. Here's hoping they've got one more night in them.
3-0-0. That's all there is to it.